Outbreak (the movie)

Julian SO apathy at cs.mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 15 17:51:09 EST 1995

In article <kfischer-1203951833540001 at duckter.glaxo.med.ualberta.ca> kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Karl Fischer) writes:
>true? Has it happened before? Are you working on that kind of virus?". The
>question I've started to ask myself is "Will society take the movie for
>what it is, an entertaining romp through semi-science, or will it fan the
>embers of fear already in place due to media ex-plosure of HIV, hantavirus
>and flesh-eating bacteria?"

I very much doubt that society will take it for what it is. People nowadays
have the tendency to not question media sources, and as a result, mountains
get made out of molehills. Take, for example, the cases of D&D hysteria in
the 80's, or heavy metal music = satanic, or the kurt cobain suicide, or even
the current hype regarding anti-biotic resistant strains of baceria, and the
examples you cited. I found many people were leaving the theatre, suspicious
of anyone who sneezed, asking why HIV/AIDS cannot be cured simply by a dose
of anti-serum from a "host green monkey" etc etc.

btw, i read in passing that the current thinking is that HIV originally
"came from" chimpanzees, rather than green monkeys. can anyone explain the
reasoning behind this to me? email me to save bandwidth.