"Outbreak"/_Hot Zone_,etc.

hracette at interserv.com hracette at interserv.com
Wed Mar 15 22:56:03 EST 1995

>   Patrick O'Neil <patrick at corona> writes:
>

>  On 15 Mar 1995, Biology Department wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>  I think the entertainment industry can do better - entertaining and
>  providing an education of some sort just as a matter [of] reasonably
>  accurate portrayal.
>
>  Patrick

I sympathize with your frustation, but think it's misplaced.
The problem isn't that Holywood fails to educate, but that
people choose to believe fiction.  If we try to inject more
fact into our fiction, we'll merely seduce more people into
accepting what must remain, at best, half truths.

Better to insist on accurate documentaries, to treat fiction
as fiction, and to run like hell from anything called a
"docudrama."

Regards,
Hank