(none)

Chad Irby cirby at gate.net
Mon Mar 20 15:57:57 EST 1995

Bruce Phillips (bap at MED.PITT.EDU) wrote:
: 	Appropo of Karl Fischer's recent remarks regarding the film, OUTBREAK,
: I too saw it accompanied by intelligent, non-scientific friends, one of whom
: thought the most unbelievable parts were the lab worker who reached into the
: moving centrifuge with expected results and consequences

  I don't know about the rest of you, but this bit had the highest
"cringe factor" of the movie.  The fingers of my left hand were twitching
for ten minutes.

  The most unbelieveable part for me was the "hundreds of soldiers
running around in chemical warfare suits while not catching the virus and
carrying it out of the town" part.  I've spent a good amount of time in
chem suits, and I *know* that some of those soldiers would be having a
lot of trouble keeping the things on and tight 100% of the time.

  I also can't believe that in the 24 hours or so before the government
closed the place off that *nobody* left that town.  I mean, this isn't
1925.  People drive all over the place.  And this little town was within
100 miles of San Fransisco!  You mean nobody from Silicon Valley had to
go in to work (cheap real estate, ya know)?

  I guess the lives of epidemiologists are much simpler in Movieland.

--

Chad Irby           /    My greatest fear: that future generations will,
cirby at gate.net     /      for some reason, refer to me as an "optimist."