Hot Zone Question

Always Learning 3ni9boscoj at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Mar 21 15:19:35 EST 1995

In article <maga-200395162611 at 130.60.120.12>, maga at vetbio.unizh.ch (Giovanni Maga) writes:
>In article <0098D9D9.41CEDC29 at vms.csd.mu.edu>, 3ni9boscoj at vms.csd.mu.edu
>(Always Learning) wrote:
>

>>: Would I be able to convice you with an argument of Adapt or Die!
>
>Well Jim, I think there could be a weak point in your argument. In fact,
>the number of viruses which is able to adapt to a new host should become
>high or remain low independently to the variations in the former host's
>population. In other words, the successful adaptation to a new host should
>not depend on the size of population of the former host, at least if a
>reduction of this one would not change other parameters like mutational
>rate or new host's genetic pool.
>In the end, in this kind of scenario, with both host's populations we
>should have both kind of viruses around (which could be or not pathogens
>for both or only one of the host's type). If one population will decrease,
>the main source of viruses will be the of course the other one, since a new
>jump will occur.
>D'you think so?
>maga at vetbio.unizh.ch

Well I guess that I would have to concur. Since my post I have had a discussion
with someone else from the group and I think that I have worked through the
matter a little further.

In that discussion I posed a question, the jist of which was: can a change in
host *cause* or otherwise aid to cause a virus to mutate - or - does a virus
mutate on an only random basis (evolution) regardless of carrier?

I'm still looking for an "Expert"'s answer. Although I now fully realize that
my question is not revelant in the ability of a virus to *move* into a new host
as was the original sugestion (monkeys => big game animals).  Because it simply
would not matter on the size of population scale.  ergo, your argument is
correct.

Unless of course
one would be willing to go out on a very long limb and claim that viruses are
able to communicate with each other and "decide" that moving into host would
benifit the whole.  (Would the losing strains get mad?)

The debate continues....

Jim=Always Learning