Embola CDC packets?

grenard at herpmed.com grenard at herpmed.com
Thu Mar 23 03:22:19 EST 1995

I will take the liberty of answering the question for Susan or whomever has
been posting the CDC Information Number.

The CDC is an acronym for the United States Government's Centers for
Disease Control located in Atlanta, Georgia. Nobody makes any money from
the material described. It is sent free to whomever wants it. I dont know
what exactly the Ebola Information is that they are issuing but
you can be reasonably assured it is a timely, accurate description of
what is known about the public health threats, if any, from this
virus. They also have issued an interesting pamphlet about hanta virus
recently describing precautions operators of rodent colonies should take
with regard to this issue.

For those of you who saw the movie Outbreak, you will recall that Dustin
Hoffman's wife worked for the CDC and he for the Army. The CDC is sort of
a civilian division of what the army does with respect to biological threats
such as ebola and hantavirus.  While they have a lot of clout and
legislative power, especially through local health authorities, they do not
have the kind of enforcement power the army has (e.g. men with guns).