ques. on lifespan of AIDS virus

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Thu Mar 23 23:23:01 EST 1995

On 24 Mar 1995, steve tichy wrote:

> A friend of mine told me someone had reported an AIDS virus (strand?)
> had managed to live outside the host for more than 2 hours.  Has anyone
> else heard this?  Is this true?

It is possible for HIV to remain viable for some time outside a host as
long as it remains moist and reasonably warm.  HIV is an enveloped virus,
that is, its protein capsid, which contains its genetic material, is
surrounded by membrane from the cell it budded from.  Without moisture,
the envelope and the receptors therein would degrade, preventing
infectivity and allowing degredation of the capsid and denaturation of RT.

As to how long it can make it...I do not know.

Patrick