retroviruses

Margaret Novack novackm at NEVADA.EDU
Thu Mar 23 22:12:19 EST 1995

There are many more retroviruses that just AIDS.  My current database
has over 400 retroviruses, and I am sure there are more.  There are three
classes of retrovirus:  oncoviruses, spumaretrovirues, and lentiviruses
( of which HIV is one).

Some oncoviruses are Mammary Mouse Tumor Virus, Mink Cell Focus Forming
Virus, Avian Myeloblastosis Virus, Moloney Nurine Leukemia Virus, Feline
Leukemia Virus, and Human retrovirus Type D (which was discovered as a
contaminant in a neuroblastoma cell line)

Some lentiviruses are HIV1, HIV2, Equine Infectious Anemia Virus, Puma
Lentivirus, Visna Virus, Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis Virus, and Ovine
Lentivirus.

There are only a few spumaretroviruses, human foamy viruses and simian
foamy viruses.

This is all the info I can think of off the top of my head.  It gives you
plenty of topics for further exploration on your own.

Good luck in you AP bio class.
Margaret Novack
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Department of Biological Sciences