HIV reversal?

Naomi Gayle Housman nhousma at EMORY.EDU
Thu Mar 30 17:53:10 EST 1995

> 	I just saw that article, in the New England Journal of Medicine.
> It looks moderately convincing.  The child is now 5 yr old, and no HIV
> has been detected for several years.  The child was apparently infected
> at birth, and there were a couple of positive cultures and positive PCR
> tests in the first year, pulling out the same HIV isolate.  The long
> interval of HIV -ve status suggests that the child really is free,
> although they note that they can't be sure that there isn't some virus
> hiding out in lymph nodes etc.  The biggest question seems to be whether

Did they do pcr on PBMC DNA, serum RNA, or both?  I am unable to get to
the article anytime soon.  Also, I saw the woman who was heading the
research/clinical team at UCLA on a late night talk show and she
indicated that they had tried to infect the child's PBMC culture in vitro
with viruses taken from earlier time points.  Was that reported in the
literature as well?

Thanks in advance..

Chad Womack
C.D.C., NCID, DHA, Imm Br