time to moderate bionet.virology

Doug Neubauer dougnb at netcom.com
Sun May 14 20:27:55 EST 1995

In article <3p5qjl$d6i at news3.digex.net>, litekepr at cpcug.org wrote:
>pgs at thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro) muttered:
>
>>As someone who works in a completely different discipline, I used to enjoy
>>reading bionet.virology as a way of occasionally learning interesting things
>>about virology.  Unfortunately, the group has become nearly unreadable in the
>>past couple of months, because of two kinds of people:
<snip>

>This is what USENET is, in many cases.  It shines when it is an
>OPEN forum.  That's why we have kill files, to ignore some of the
>driftwood.
>
>-Lighty

Biosci is not the same as Usenet (see below).  Most of these Ebola
articles should be posted in sci.bio.  IMHO this group needs to be
moderated. (Please note that the biosci newsgroups are also
listservers, so many people receive these postings as mail, and
don't have a kill file)

A snip from the biosci FAQ:
Available at: "http://www.bio.net/BIOSCI/biosci.FAQ.html".

  WHAT IS BIOSCI AND BIONET?

BIOSCI is a series of freely accessible electronic communication
forums (i.e., electronic bulletin boards or "newsgroups") for use by
biological scientists worldwide....The system is intended to promote
communication between professionals in the biological sciences....

While the general public may "listen in" to the discussions, these
newsgroups are intended primarily for communications between
researchers. There are other forums on Usenet such as sci.bio
for the asking and answering of biological questions from lay persons.