a molecular evolution question re ebola

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Thu May 25 01:58:51 EST 1995

In article <3pu9ke$59f at agate.berkeley.edu>, salamon at notmendel.Berkeley.EDU
( ) wrote:

> Does Ebola (or do filoviruses in general) use reverse trascriptase?
> Can it exist as a provirus?  That could slow the accumulation
> of substitutions.  But something tells me I've heard it doesn't
> integrate itself into host DNA.

(extensive snipping)

I cannot answer about the mutation rate, sorry, anyway Ebola belongs to the
RNA virus family with a ss (-) RNA genome. It is not a retrovirus, thus it
has no reverse transcriptase. It is never present as a provirus. Its
replication is quite simple: the (-) RNA strand is copyed by the viral RNA
dep./RNA polymerase into a (+) strand which then functions as: i) mRNA for
the 7 viral-encoded polypeptides, ii) template for production of new
genomic (-) RNA to be packed in the new virions. All this process does not
involve any DNA intermediate and is exclusively cytoplasmatic.
Maybe the information you need can be found at one of these sites:

http://www.bocklabs.wisc.edu/ed/ebola.html
http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ebolasho.html
http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ebolagen.html

hope it helps.