antigen presentation and enhancing antibody

David Beasley d.beasley at qut.edu.au
Fri Nov 3 00:42:03 EST 1995

In article <478ad1$bnj at panix.com>, iayork at panix.com (Ian A. York) says:

[SNIP]

>As far as antibody-mediated enhancement of infection, it's only seen in a
>relative handful of viruses, of HIV may (or may not, in vivo) be one.  The
>classic example is dengue virus.  The two basic requirements (fairly
>obvious, really) are that the antibodies be non-neutralizing and the virus
>be able to survive in an Fc-bearing cell.  Here are a couple of papers you
>might find useful -
>
> Kurane I.  Rothman AL.  Livingston PG.  Green S.  Gagnon SJ.  Janus J.
>Innis BL.  Nimmannitya S.  Nisalak A.  Ennis FA.
> Immunopathologic mechanisms of dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock
>syndrome.
> Archives of Virology - Supplementum.  9:59-64, 1994.
>
> Jiang SB.  Lin K.  Neurath AR.
> Enhancement of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection by
>antisera to peptides from the envelope glycoproteins gp120/gp41
>Journal of Experimental Medicine.  174(6):1557-63, 1991

[SNIP]

Some neutralising antibodies have been shown to enhance in vitro dengue
virus infection of cells when present at low concentrations.

As far as I know, antibody-dependent enhancement of dengue infection has
still only be demonstrated as an in vitro phenomenon.  ADE is a nice
theory for the development of dengue haemorrhagic fever, but still doesn't
explain why only 2-3% of anamnestic infections result in the more severe
form of disease.  The whole concept of ADE seems to be fairly contentious
amongst flavivirus (and particularly dengue) researchers.

David B.

David Beasley
School of Life Science
Queensland University of Technology