spongiform encephalopathy in young humans

Vasconcelos Costa 385 jcosta at pen.gulbenkian.pt
Fri Nov 10 03:03:46 EST 1995

> From: kirberg at bii.ch (Jorg Kirberg)
> To: "bionet.virology mail newsgroup" <bionet-news at dl.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: spongiform encephalopathy in young humans
>
> * how can it make sense if man never got it from sheep before ? I would
> think that one still has to wait for more cases before a link between BSE
> and humans eating whatever from the U.K. cattles can be made.
> jorg

Weak argument! The agent of BSE is no longer the scrapie agent, though it
probably originated from scrapie. Therefore, the modifications from scrapie
to BSE may have made it infectious for man, even if the scrapie agent is not.

Joao

I  GGG   CCC    Dr. JOAO V. COSTA                     e-mail:
I G     C       Laboratorio de Virologia II              jcosta at gulbenkian.pt
I G  GG C       Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia       phone: +351 (1) 4435750
I G   G C       Apartado 14, R. Quinta Grande, 6      fax:   +351 (1) 4435625
I  GGG   CCC    P-2781 OEIRAS Codex, PORTUGAL