Flu question

Michael L. Perdue mperdue at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Thu Nov 16 09:24:05 EST 1995

There is an excellent summary of pH effects on processing of the HA by
Lamb et.al. in the Cold Spring Harbor Monograph: "Cellular Receptors for
Animal Viruses".  The drug amantadine and its analog rimantadine have two
actions.  The first is at the level of penetration and uncoating and
resistant mutants have alterations in the M (matrix) gene, but the second
action against some influenza strains is at the level to which you
refer.  Namely amantadine appears to lower the pH in the trans golgi
lumen causing a premature transition to the fusogenic form of the HA.
This basically gums up the works with the HA oligomers aggregating and
virus subsequently unable to bud.  Resistance to both effects of
amantadine is quite common and resistant variants arise rapidly in most
strains.  It is a very effective drug but this problem precludes its
widespread use.  The Russians have done and still do a lot of work on
trying to develop analogs that will be more effective.

The best recent reference on the structural effects of the pH transition
is Bullogh et. al. 1994, Nature 371, 37-43.  Any recent publication by
Alan Hay would likely start you on a fruitful path for other reviews
since he is one of the "gurus" in this area.

Michael L. Perdue, Ph.D.
Athens, Georgia  30605
Ph: 706-546-3435
Fx: 706-546-3161