Are viruses living organisms?

Ed Rybicki ED at
Tue Nov 28 02:43:42 EST 1995

>     Does anyone know of important conclusive studies or articles which
> show proof that viruses can be considered organisms?  Also if you know a
> lot about this question please write to me, I'm in need of some expert
> evidence and advice which proves this fact for a research paper in my AP
> Biology class. Anything which will help me convince my teacher that
> viruses are organisms will be much appreciated.

Any biology teacher who thinks that viruses are not organisms needs
their head or their credentials examined.

For a quick fix (with references) look at (more up to date)
                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |  ed at
   University of Cape Town  | phone: x27-21-650-3265
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  fax: x27-21-650 4023
      7700, South Africa    |
    WWW URL:
"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"