Are viruses living organisms?

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Tue Nov 28 08:17:56 EST 1995

In article <49e9hf$bi7 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ryanlhs at aol.com (RYAN LHS) wrote:

>     Does anyone know of important conclusive studies or articles which
> ..... snip!.....will be much appreciated.

Ryan,

This point has been highly debated in this newsgroup.  I would suggest
looking at the archives for this newsgroup.  I dont know where they are
but I would suggest contacting your AOL systems help person for that
info.  As for the actual question, I think most of us who do research on
viruses would say that they are indeed alive... but this is all an opinion
thing and anyone who tells you that there exists definative, published
evidence either way is incorrect.  I would suggest reading the
introductory chapters to a good virology text (the one edited by Fields is
one of the best) and them making your own decision.

Good luck,

Don

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology