Animals virus in plant cells

Peter Charles pcharles at aecom.yu.edu
Fri Oct 6 10:12:58 EST 1995

On 6 Oct 1995 hourioux at univ-tours.fr wrote:

> I'am a gradued student doing research in virology. I would like to know
> if there are any experimental evidence about the ability for an animal
> virus (except insect) to replicate in plant cells
>
> thanks
> CH HOURIOUX (univ of TOUR, FRANCE)
> e-mail adress : hourioux at balzac.univ-tours.fr

I have some recollection of the report of a plant virus (I believe the
plant was the tomato) that turned out to be a Bunyavirus.  The
Bunyaviruses are a group of arboviruses that cause, among other things,
encephalitis in humans.  I'm pretty sure that the plant bunyavirus
doesn't cause any human disease (if it did I'm sure I would have
remembered it a bit better than this!!).  But it was (I believe) the
first example of a plant pathogen belonging to a viral genus comprised of
animal pathogens.  The virus was spread by thrips (once again, if my
memory is not playing tricks on me...).

Ill do a lit search and see if I can turn up anymore info.  The initial
report was about 6 years ago.

Hope this helps...

Peter Charles, PhD
Department of Pathology (Neuropathology)
Albert Einstein College of Medicine