attnuatated influenza vaccine

Graeme Price g.e.price at bham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 12 11:43:26 EST 1995

In article <45hqk4$34sb at ns5-1.CC.Lehigh.EDU>, smt3 at Lehigh.EDU wrote:

> I'm looking for information on attenuated flu vaccines.  Has anyone heard of
> any studies that have been done recently?  Also, does anyone know if the FDA
> has anything to say on the subject of live virus vaccines?  I would appreciate
> any help or comments.
>                                   Thanks,
>                                   -----Shawn Torbert

A pretty good recent review is:

Potter, C.W. Attenuated Influenza Virus Vaccines; Reviews in Medical
Virology vol 4: 279-292 (1994).

At the moment there are a fair few trials with DNA vaccination (using
haemagglutinin cDNA on a plasmid injected directly into the host), which
has shown protection vs. influenza virus in mice (this has also worked in
ferrets)

Ulmer et al. Heterologous protection against influenza by injection of DNA
encoding a viral protein; Science vol. 259: 1745-1749 (1993)

Cold adapted mutants of influenza have been considered as live vaccines
for years, but I'm not sure how the FDA (or anyone else) stands on it -
there should be a lot of data about these on medline, or in a textbook on
influenza -
Kilbourne, E.D. Influenza, Plenum Publishing (1987) is very good (but
getting a bit old!).

Hope this is some use

Graeme

--
Graeme Price
Microbial Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology Group,

Tel. (+44) (0)121 414 6555
Fax. (+44) (0)121 414 6557
E-mail g.e.price at bham.ac.uk