mechanical vectors and fibropapillomas

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at io.org
Mon Oct 23 16:15:41 EST 1995

Hello,

  I am investigating the possibility that marine turtle fibropapillomas
is transmitted by mechanical vectors.

  In the case I am interested in, the mechanical vectors are fish that
first clean/pick at the tumours of infected turtles and then swim off to
bite at the eyes or other body parts of clean turtles.

  The fish we see doing this are the saddle wrasse and the white-spot
toby although this year, long nose butterflyfish have gotten into the
act.

  I am looking for a precedent for other papillomas to see if it is
reasonable to suspect these fish as being mechanical vectors for the
disease.

  Thank you.

                      ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                     0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
            /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: howzit at io.org
          /V     Turtle Trax    V\
        /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab