emerging diseases

Dennis Denomy bmlsseng at MUSKOKA.COM
Tue Oct 24 14:40:25 EST 1995

I am an OAC student at Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes Secondary School in
Ontario, Canada, and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.  My
major English project for the year is based on the theory that "new"
emerging viruses are surfacing from ecologically damaged parts of the earth.
These viruses have been around for years, but it is only when humans begin
to intrude into new places, or the natural environment is altered, that
these viruses leave their hosts and mix with the human population.  I have
some evidence that this has already occurred in many areas:  Guanarito
outbreak in Venezuala in 1989 in a rural community beginning to clear a
forest;  Rift Valley Fever outbreak in 1987 after damming of Senegal River
in Mauritania;  Rift Valley Fever outbreak in 1970 after Aswan Dam was built
and Lake Nasser formed;  Hantavirus outbreak in New Mexico, Colorado and
Nevada in 1993 after a rodent population exploded.  Also Machupo, Junin,
Sabia, Puumala and Dengue Fever.  However, were there any similar reasons
for the outbreaks of Ebola (Reston, Zaire and Sudan), Marburg and Lassa
Fever, or do these hemorrhagic fevers just come out of nowhere?  Any new
restrictions for importing monkeys into the States because of all this?  For
anyone who's read Richard Preston's The Hot Zone -- anything new or
interesting on Lake Victoria's Isle of Plagues or Kitum Cave?

        If anyone has anything they think may be useful, please forward it.
My University applications depend partly on the mark I get in this class!