Westerns on uninfected H9 cells

Todd Miller - Pharmacology tmiller at newssun.med.miami.edu
Tue Oct 24 08:02:58 EST 1995

Looking over the pamphlet that comes with the Cambridge
Biotech Corp's Western blot kit for HIV detection, I
noticed there was no control strip with extracts from
uninfected H9 cells (the cells they claim they use to
propagate HIV for preparation of the "infected" strips).

This seems like an obvious control that I was surprised
to find missing from the kit.  Looking in the literature,
I find hints that at least on ELISA's, extracts from
uninfected cells can be problematic.  Has anyone had
experience or know of further information on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Todd Miller, PhD
tmiller at newssun.med.miami.edu