emerging diseases

MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 25 19:55:39 EST 1995

Surely there must be plenty of examples of diseases being controled by wrecking the
envirnoment?  How about the introduction of mosquito fish to control yellow fever,
maleria?

Why emphasise only the negative aspects of environmental change, instead of a balenced
view?  Fashion?

Martin Slade

>To:            virology at net.bio.net
>From:          bmlsseng at MUSKOKA.COM (Dennis Denomy)
>Subject:       emerging diseases
>Date:          24 Oct 1995 12:40:25 -0700
>
>I am an OAC student at Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes Secondary School in
>Ontario, Canada, and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.  My
>major English project for the year is based on the theory that "new"
>emerging viruses are surfacing from ecologically damaged parts of the earth.
>These viruses have been around for years, but it is only when humans begin
>to intrude into new places, or the natural environment is altered, that
>these viruses leave their hosts and mix with the human population.  I have
>some evidence that this has already occurred in many areas:  Guanarito
>outbreak in Venezuala in 1989 in a rural community beginning to clear a
>forest;  Rift Valley Fever outbreak in 1987 after damming of Senegal River
>in Mauritania;  Rift Valley Fever outbreak in 1970 after Aswan Dam was built
>and Lake Nasser formed;  Hantavirus outbreak in New Mexico, Colorado and
>Nevada in 1993 after a rodent population exploded.  Also Machupo, Junin,
>Sabia, Puumala and Dengue Fever.  However, were there any similar reasons
>for the outbreaks of Ebola (Reston, Zaire and Sudan), Marburg and Lassa
>Fever, or do these hemorrhagic fevers just come out of nowhere?  Any new
>restrictions for importing monkeys into the States because of all this?  For
>anyone who's read Richard Preston's The Hot Zone -- anything new or
>interesting on Lake Victoria's Isle of Plagues or Kitum Cave?
>
>        If anyone has anything they think may be useful, please forward it.
>My University applications depend partly on the mark I get in this class!

Martin Slade,
School of Biological Sciences,
Macquarie University,
NSW 2109,