Viruses as prey?

brett brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Fri Sep 1 12:27:06 EST 1995

>This sounds more like some sort of commensal relationship rather than
>predator-prey.  Interesting concept though.  I wonder what benefit the
>helper virus gets out of the relationship?
>
>brunstei at UNIXG.UBC.CA (John Brunstein) wrote:
>>
>> The post refers to 'satellite' viruses...ones which need both a host
>> cell, and another virus, to replicate.  Common in plant viruses, not so
>> common in mammalian systems although AAV as mentioned is a good and
>> common example.

>> > No one's pointed this out till just now.  Can you expand on this somewhat?
>> >  This is still a notch too cryptic for me to figure out.  Which is prey
>> > for what, and V.V.?
>> >
>> > Ed

What about defective interfering (DI) particles? These suckers are parasitizing
thier own (actuallty, parental) genome! Interestingly, these have been suggested
by Huang & Baltimore in 1970s to play a role in viral persistence (ie
propagation of the parental genome POPULATION), so one could make the case
that
this is more of a convoluted commensalism. Thoughts?

Brett Lindenbach

Program in Immunology
Washington University - St Louis
brett at borcim.wustl.edu