Intravirion nucleic acid replication

Steven Enkemann enkemans at
Sat Sep 2 16:30:10 EST 1995

In article <kfischer-2608951214550001 at>,
kfischer at (Karl Fischer) wrote:

> The virus we work with (hepatitis B virus) encapsidates a pregenomic RNA
> which is reverse transcribed WITHIN the virus capsid to give the partially
> double-stranded DNA genome.
> My question is - What other viruses demonstrate intravirion replication of
> their genome as opposed to ex virion synthesis then encapsidation?
> I suspect caulimovirus (another pararetrovirus) does this but am curious
> as to what other viruses utilize this strategy.
> Cheers
> Karl
> --
> Karl Fischer
> tyr-2 at
> kfischer at

Some of the double stranded RNA viruses replicate their genomes from
within the capsid.  The polymerase molecule is actually part of the
capsid.  For a minireview check out JBC vol. 268 page 3797.

Steven A. Enkemann PhD.

I don't believe that curiosity killed the cat.
I think it just did the wrong experiment.