Locating Ebola host animal

Robin Weare persepha at csulb.edu
Tue Sep 5 15:50:07 EST 1995

Chuck Kahn (odin at io.org) wrote:
: In article <A7F32EA7880 at ida.ruc.dk>, JOHANN72 at IDA.RUC.DK sez:
: > It seems, that a lot of the effort about finding the ebola host animal
: > is used on the Kitum Cave. Has it ocurred to anyone, that the fact that

: The WHO press release (on their web site) of Aug. 24th seemed to
: indicate that most research now was going into testing the 3000
: animals and thousands of insects sampled in the outbreak vicinity.
: My knowledge of this cave is sparse at best -- is this the one at
: Mount Elgon?  (Maybe I should get a map... )

Um, I think The Hot Zone clearly stated that Kitum Cave is suspected
of harboring Marburg, not Ebola.

In any case, I think Kitum Cave is not very close to the area of the
recent Ebola plague, which was in Zaire.

Robin M. Weare

  "He who cannot howl, will not find his pack."
         Charles Simac, "Selected Poems"

E-mail: persepha at csulb.edu  Home page: http://www.csulb.edu/~persepha/