HBV inactivation

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Wed Sep 6 12:49:32 EST 1995

Wolf Hanisch  writes:
> I am working on a project to extract HBV antigen from human serum. I
> would appreciate any information on a reliable safe method for
> inactivation of HBV.
A review I have from 1984 (Stevens, CE, et al, in "Viral
Hepatitis and Liver Disease", ed GN Vyas et al. p 275) cites the
following generally available papers:

Hilleman, MR et al. (1975) Purified and inactivated human
hepatitis B vaccine: progress report. Am. J. Med. Sci.

McAuliffe VJ et al. (1980) Type B hepatitis: a review of current
prospects for a safe and effective vaccine.  Rev. Infect. Dis.

This is not the whole literature, but it should give you a start.
Hilleman was the developer of the original Merck serum-derived vaccine
that was licensed in the US before the recombinant version was
developed, so that article should specify or point to the inactivation
procedure.  Hope this helps.
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295