Aids Testing

FARRLARR at .isu.edu FARRLARR at .isu.edu
Sun Sep 10 12:04:20 EST 1995

Julia Paonessa <paoness at server.uwindsor.ca> wrote:

>Hello, I have a few questions on present day AIDS testing.
>
>Is there a certain blood concentration of HIV that must be reached >before the test will give a positive result?

Present day "AIDS testing" does not test for AIDS but for antibody
against HIV.  There is no single test that tell whether one has
AIDS, but the ELISA and Western Blot can demonstrate presence of antibody
against HIV.  There is no specific correlation between the amount of
virus in the blood and the amount of antibody present.  The determining
factor in all this, then, is the amount of antibody, not the amount of
virus.  Given that, however, there probably is a minimum amount of virus
that must be present in order to stimulate the immune system sufficiently
for it to make enough antibody to be detected.  As far as I know, that
amount has not been determined.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology