Meaning and function of tat gene

A.J.Cann nna at le.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 06:55:57 EST 1995

fcourch at biomserv.univ-lyon.fr wrote:
>tat is the name of a gene of HIV (and some other lentiviruses).
>Could anybody here tell me what tat means?

Trans-Activator of Transcription

>And what is the supposed function of tat?
>(PS: do you have any reference?)

Cann AJ, Karn J: 'Molecular biology of HIV 1989: New insights into the
virus life-cycle'.   AIDS 89, 3, S19-33, 1990.

or even, dare I say:

Cann A.J:	'Principles of Molecular Virology' Academic Press, 1993.

Dr Alan J. Cann  PhD,   Department of Microbiology & Immunology,
University of Leicester,  P.O. Box 138,  Medical Sciences Building,
University Road, Leicester LE1 9HN,  UK.
Email: nna at le.ac.uk     http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/AJC/nna.html