Viral DNA insertion into host genome.

Don Haut c601591 at
Thu Sep 21 16:35:48 EST 1995

In article <199509141718.NAA15530 at>, ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
(Walter Ogston) wrote:

> > In article <Pine.A32.3.91.950909123618.24020C-100000 at>,
> > volm timothy gerard <tvolm at> wrote:
> How do we explain the difference between a retrovirus and AAV, then?
> (homework problem).

As it turns out, I just came from a meeting where we discussed some of the
new things that came out of the International Parvovirus Meeting which was
held last week.  AAV integrates into an area of human Chromosome 19; from
what is know it always integrates somewhere withing about a 1KB area which
contains two specific sequences, but it does not always integrate at
exacty the same place within that 1KB area.  Also, when we are thinking
about the above "homework" we should remember, that AAV is not an
autonomous virus, it requires Adenovirus proteins in order to replicate.

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
University of Missouri-Columbia
C601591 at