Needed - Just one precedent

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at io.org
Sat Sep 30 11:06:06 EST 1995

  Hello.

  I know there are diseases spread by ticks and mosquitoes that get
carried from victim to victim.  I also know there are ways of
contracting a viral disease by breathing in (say) minute airborn feces
particles and stuff.

  I need to know something very different.

  I want to know if there has been even ONE case of a viral disease that
was transmitted by a vector by feeding off the tumours/lesions/open
sores of an infected animal and then moving on to a healthy animal and
perhaps through biting/probing (breaking skin) "injecting" the disease
to another.

  A disease I am interested in, has the subjects involved in a cleaning
relationship.  (fish cleaning turtles).  Lately, certain fish focus only
on feeding off tumours - then head off to clean healthy turtles resting
right beside tumoured ones.

  We observe these cleaners moving easily from heavily tumoured turtles
to bite at the eyes of healthy ones.  (The disease frequently begins in
the eyes of turtles.)

  I am wondering if there is a precedent.  Another disease that gets
transmitted via a "cleaning" vector.  Can tumour material containing the
virus become lodged in fish dentition for example?  And then in the
course of biting a healthy animal, transmit the virus?  Is that
something remotely possible?

  I have been surfing the Net all week until my back was sore.  I am now
hitting dead ends and figure it is time to ask this where virologists
hang out.

  Thank you for any help.

                      ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                     0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
            /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: howzit at io.org
          /V     Turtle Trax    V\
        /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab