Needed - Just one precedent

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Sat Sep 30 21:47:52 EST 1995

Ursula Keuper-Bennett (howzit at io.org) writes:
[snip]
>   I want to know if there has been even ONE case of a viral disease that
> was transmitted by a vector by feeding off the tumours/lesions/open
> sores of an infected animal and then moving on to a healthy animal and
> perhaps through biting/probing (breaking skin) "injecting" the disease
> to another.

I don't know where I got this idea or whether it is right, but I
think myxomatosis virus is spread from one rabbit to another by
fleas, mosquitos etc. feeding on the lesions, which contain
hight titers of virus, then going and feeding on an uninfected
animal.  It was my understanding that the virus does not
replicate in the arthropod vector, but is carried mechanically.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

Do you know what causes the lesions on the turtles?
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295