Precision and linearity/1g

Ed Rybicki ED at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Mon Apr 1 02:48:19 EST 1996

> From:          ns10005 at cam.ac.uk (Nigel Smith)
> Subject:       Re: Precision and linearity

> In article <9603291834.AA29206 at mercury.med.pitt.edu>, bap at MED.PITT.EDU
> (Bruce Phillips) wrote:
> >         Recently, Dwight Lynn had the audacity to communicate:
> >> I'm sorry to inform you that you cannot determine a linear relationship
> >> with just two points.  You'll need to set up another centrifuge at 3X for 8
> >> years and 8 months

> >         Au contraire, two points are the surest way to establish a straight
> > line.  In the realm of good science, I am willing to get the points BEFORE
> > drawing the line.
>
> Two points certainly define a line, and if want a straight line then two
> points is all you should take.
>
> However, if you want to prove to your peers that the line *is* straight, I
> would suggest you plot a few more...

Not me...!  I established the phenomenon occurs to my satisfaction;
anyone else wants to set up a 20yr expt, fine for them...I plan to be
near retiring by then.  With my by-then-32-yr-sedimenting bottle of
BSMV....

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | phone: x27-21-650-3265
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  fax: x27-21-650 4023
      7700, South Africa    |
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"