Denaturation of Prions

Tim Fitzmaurice tjf11 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 4 07:16:22 EST 1996

On 3 Apr 1996, James Young wrote:

>  I was wondering....in regards to BSE/CJD, would not the high heats involved
> in the preparation of the meat denature most proteins, including the most
> feared prions?  Even if the prion is in the cell.

No they seem to be quite survivable....I have seen a paper on this sort
of thung, using scrapie...

I think the ctation is  Brown P et al, Journal of Infectious Diseases 1990,
vol 161...pp467-...umm. Thats off the top of my head, if its not right
I'll check it.

The paper deals with autoclaving and formaldehyde strilisation and listed
partial survival up to 360 degrees Centigrade.

Tim