Herpes genome

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Thu Apr 4 11:36:22 EST 1996

In article <1996Apr3.212250 at winnie>,  <x95hedroug at wmich.edu> wrote:

>I would like some help from someone who can tell me about Herpesvirus. I have
>heard that this virus has a genome different from the other DNA viruses, and
>its genome has FOUR ISOMERES, what are these FOUR ISOMERE in the structure of
>the DNA of Herpesvirus.

Naturally herpesvirus has a genome different from all other DNA viruses;
genome differences are among the things that define the family of a
virus.  It's true that there are four isomers of herpes simplex virus
genomes (and of some, but not all, other herpesviruses as well).

Herpes simplex genome has a long unique region (b), a short unique region
(d), and each unique region is bounded by a set of repeated areas (a and
c).  IF my ASCII art is up to it:

////----------------->////\\---->\\
 a         b           a   c  d  c

Note that this is not official terminology, because "a" and so forth have
speical meaning.  This is for the purpose of illustration.

Note the arrows in the unique regions.  Now for the isomerization - there
is nothing up my sleeves:

1.  ////----------------->////\\---->\\
     a         b           a   c  d  c

     a         b           a   c  d  c

     a         b           a   c  d  c

     a         b           a   c  d  c

This is all in Fields' Virology, a textbook you should havein your local
library (if not, complain).  There's too much to explain in a usenet article.

Ian