Any good Hantavirus reviews?

Sami K J Kukkonen skjkukko at cc.Helsinki.FI
Fri Apr 5 10:55:08 EST 1996

John (repass at mail.utexas.edu) wrote:
> Are there any good reviews on Hantaan virus out there? Or any other
> related species? I'm looking more for the molecular biology of the
> viruses, rather than the disease. Thanks. John

I think there are no good reviews specifically on the molecular
biology of hantaviruses, but there are good reviews, though a bit old,
on the family Bunyaviridae, which hantaviruses are a genus of. There is a
review by Richard M. Elliott (1990), Molecular biology of the
Bunyaviridae, Journal of General Virology, 71, 501-522 and then there is
the Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology volume 169 (1991),
which is solely about the Bunyaviridae family.

There is supposed to be also some new review about bunyaviruses appearing
soon. Perhaps it has already been published. I'm afraid I have no
reference for it.

Actually all that much hasn't happened in the study of the molecular
biology of the viruses of that family since early this decade. Of course
e.g. more hantaviruses have been found and more genome segments have been
sequenced, for example already 5 complete hantavirus  L segments have been
sequenced and the partial sequences of several more are known. That's
what I've been involved with recently. So, my interest really is in the
RNA polymerases of hantaviruses, which of course influences which
articles I find interesting.

One interesting article since early 1990's concering hantavirus
molecular biology is Garcin et al (1995), The 5' Ends of Hantaan Virus
(Bunyaviridae) RNAs Suggest a Prime-and-Realign Mechanism for the
Initiation of RNA Synthesis, Journal of Virology, 69, 5754-5762.

You should look from Medline for names like Richard M. Elliott, Daniel
Kolakofsky, Rolf Muller, Stuart T. Nichol, Connie S. Schmaljohn, and Brian
Hjelle. If you check articles that these peole have been involved with,
you'll find just about all the interesting information available. The
latter three are more specifically hanta-people than the other three, who
have been involved with what I consider some of the most interesting
articles on the RNA polymerases of bunyaviruses.
--
Sami