ORIGINS AND RESEARCH (VIRUSES)

K. Shannon KMShannon at uoknor.edu
Sat Apr 6 00:39:10 EST 1996

If we are going to talk of the evolution of viruses, that makes for a long and
diverse conversation.  From the theory that they branched off the ancestrial
cell to the theory that they are aliens from space.  I have not committed to a
decision yet.  But I do feel that most viruses have a strong tendency for
preservation of their own kind.  The high level pathogenic viruses such as E.
bola and Marburg are analogous to the cheeta, they have overevolved and
burn themselves out.
     As for the posting below,  I would like to know how one could possibly
conduct the experiment for retroevolution of the cell?

--
Kevin Shannon,
kmshannon at uoknor.edu
shannon.kevin at oklahoma.va.gov