prions

Joao Vasconcelos Costa jcosta at pen.gulbenkian.pt
Thu Apr 11 08:09:08 EST 1996

Tim Fitzmaurice wrote:

> On 10 Apr 1996, Ian A. York wrote:
> > I've assumed that the spread to the brain is within cells of the
> > reticuloenbdothelial system - via monocytes/macrophages.  I suppose it
> Would travel in this kind of cell not make it far more transmissible than
> this kind of agent appears to be?
>
> Has anyon seen any mention in any paper of a putative normal function of PrP
> gene products at all?
>
> Tim

A Portuguese newspaper reports today that a paper from a Japanese group
(S. Katamine, from U. Nagasaki) is going to appear today (where?) des-
cribing a deffect in cerebelous functions in transgenic mice with
knocked out PRP genes. Late in life, these mice show atrophy of the
cerebelum, with massive death of Purkinje cells.
These resuts are contradictory to the ones from Prusiner's group, that
were unable to detect any defficiency in knocked out mice.

--
*****   JOAO VASCONCELOS COSTA, MD, PhD
*****   Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia - Oeiras, Portugal
*****   mailto:jcosta at pen.gulbenkian.pt