Post Splenectomy Disease Risks

David Robinson dave at icepop.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 18:08:31 EST 1996

  Advice required please.

  Given a requirement for unrestricted worldwide travel,and spleen removal
  (splenectomy) some 25 years ago can you tell me:

  (1) Is there an increased risk of contracting any particular diseases eg
      Malaria,Cholera,Typhoid etc. (Given standard innoculations)

  (2) In the event of contracting said diseases, is the prognosis bound to
      be worse,given standard treatments.(especially Malaria)

  (3) Any practical advice on minimising risk of infections etc.

      If you cannot help in this group could you point me in the right
      direction please.

      Thank you.    Dave Robinson   (Nottingham England)