viruses and the extinction of dinosaurs

John Brunstein brunstei at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Sun Apr 14 16:24:49 EST 1996

	Yes, Mr. Rittscher, there is indeed as you so wittily put
it 'someone home'.  Someone who, I may add, has several years experience
in the fields of biochemistry and virology.  Perhaps my long hours at the
lab bench have not given me the divine insight granted you by smoking of
whatever controlled substance it is that divulged this amazing secret to
you.  However, a few things I can tell you are as follows:
	(1) Aids is not a virus.  It is a clinical condition brought
about by infection with a virus, which is known as 'HIV'.
	(2) Viruses of the same family as HIV are known as
'retroviruses'.  Reverse transcriptase is an enzyme they use in part of
their productive infection.
	I hope you will avoid making these sorts of mistakes in future
posts, as I would not wish to see anyone mistake you for a fool.
	Having said all that, your reply fails to address the basic
question which not only myself but several other members of the newsgroup
had the obvious boredom and free time to ask: "What definite proof do you
have of your rather astonishing claim?"  Do please answer this question;
I'm sure that the rest of the readers will enjoy a good laugh as much as
I will.
<insincerity mode>
	Of course, don't let my answer here dissuade you from a swift
publication of your 'definitive proof'; I appreciate as well as the rest
of the newsgroup that a discovery of this magnitude (or even the ability
to state with certainty when viruses arose) is worthy of a Nobel prize.

				Best wishes for your future enlightenments,
				John D. Brunstein
				Dept. of Biochemistry
				University of British Columbia
</insincerity mode>