Question

Len profpuk at werple.mira.net.au.
Mon Apr 15 02:18:47 EST 1996

Vidar

I think what you are after are the adeno-associated viruses. These are
parvoviruses which require a helper virus to replicate. This could be
an adenovirus or herpes virus. AAV are latent viruses and it has been
proposed that if a cell is subsequently infected with, for example a
herpes virus, then the AAV undergoes a cell lytic cycle. This may then
prevent that cell from being transformed (because it dies!) but this
may then protect the organism from cancer. There has been some
seroepidemiology in humans suggesting that AAVs protect against
cervical cancer.

I do not pretend to be an expert in this field and I welcome comments

Len