"Ebola Reston"???

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Mon Apr 22 10:09:58 EST 1996

In article <4lbao6$2hs at pulm1.accessone.com>, rivero at accessone.com (Michael
Rivero) wrote:

> Part of the confusion over strains is that the Ebola virus particle, despite
> it's extreme simplicity (a single threadlike strand of DNA with a coat of
> only 7 different proteins) shows a high rate of mutation, often an
> indicator of a very new organism.

I was not aware that any research had demonstrated Filoviruses showed the
high rate of mutation which you mentioned.  To the contrary, I was under
the impression that successive outbreaks of the same strain showed
relatively high sequence homology to previous outbreaks of that strain.
Could you give me a ref. on that high mutation rate?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology