Experiments on Inmates

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Thu Apr 25 14:17:18 EST 1996

In article <4loi8b$ebn at newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Gumby1618 <gumby1618 at aol.com> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me if there has been cases of viral experiments on
>inmates.
>Past and present.

I remember one with human adenovirus and a vaccine thereof - can't find
the reference, it was in the early 60's, and I think it was reported in
the Annals of the NY Acad Sci.  Inmates were volunteers.
Note that human adenovirus causes essentially a mild cold, so we're not
talking about severe symptoms here.

It wasn't a good experiment, though, because the numbers were too small
anyway.  I very much doubt that it would get past an ethics committee
today.

Ian
--
Ian York                        |  I find that I have,
iayork at panix.com                |  as a result of this post,