HSV and pregnancy

upyers mcoon at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 13 11:19:56 EST 1996

In article <4fnk74$d4o at linus.mitre.org>, Janice LaRock <jlarock at mitre.org>
wrote:

> I'm currently about 12 1/2 weeks pregnant, and have just gotten an
> outbreak (not primary) of HSV (supraorbital).  I'm using zovirax cream to
> control it, because I really don't want to take the oral on the chance
> that it could hurt the baby.  So far, the infection is being moderately
> controlled, although the oral acyclovir would be more effective.  But it
> occurred to me yesterday that I don't know if the virus itself could hurt
> the baby.
>
> Does the virus get into my bloodstream, and cross the placenta?  There is
> some lymph involvement (in front of my ear, and in my neck on the
> affected side); could the kid catch HSV in utero?
>
> Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, Janice it IS posssible. But before you freak out and get
worried please see a doctor. Perhaps he/she can allay your fears and help
limit the risk of fetal transmission. If interested there is quite a body
of literature that discusses transmission mechanisms.

Good luck

--
"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity" Halan Ellison