Chances of Andromeda Strain?

ClarenceTam wegfn01 at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Feb 27 12:01:20 EST 1996

tomlins at smhs.medford.or.us wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the chances of humans coming in
> contact with something like the Andromeda Strain?

We can hardly predict the weather right. The chances of answering that
question with any degree of reliability are not very high.

  What are the chances that
> an airborne disease with the lethality of Lassa or Ebola will ever infect the
> human race?

Haven't they already?

How much of the human population would this destroy?

Not a substantial amount (not that I'm devaluing life). Something that
lethal would tend to kill before having a chance to be spread to new
hosts, unlike HIV.

OB1