Vaccination against TMV (Was Re: (none))

Karl Fischer tyr-2 at
Wed Feb 28 21:02:36 EST 1996

In article <9602282000.AA28303 at>, bap at MED.PITT.EDU
(Bruce Phillips) wrote:

>         How does one vaccinate against tobacco mosaic virus?  Do tobacco
> plants have sleeves to roll up?

Hmmm...I thought the injection was in the "fleshy" part - what IS the
plant equivalent of the gluteus maximus?

Seriously...I was taught that introduction of TMV into a plant could be
initiated by mixing an inoculum with an abrasive, like carborundum, and
creating a wound in the leaf.

Input from plant virologists? I would like to know if I'm completely
off-base on this (which would put my memories of my undergraduate days in
complete doubt ;-)

Karl the hepB guy

Karl Fischer
tyr-2 at