The Hot Zone

Joel Weinstein surgsw at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Sat Jan 6 15:03:53 EST 1996

First of all, if you have not read this book.  READ IT.  In fact, BUY IT,
because you will want to read it more than once (even though it will scare
the shit out of you).

I read The Hot Zone... 4 times.  I am in highschool, have no idea what I
am going to do when I get older, and this book sparked some deep dark
intrest I have for viruses and diseases.  I get good grades (3.9 or higher
all through highschool).  First of all, what other books could I read that
are about infectious diseases such as AIDS and Ebola?  I don't want to
read a 10,000 page document on Ebola particles, or something like that.
It can be fiction, but I would like it to have some true stuff in it also,
because what makes this stuff interesting is that it really happens, it's
not some made up thing from a movie.

If I go through High School, get into a good college, complete 8 years
medical school (I assume I have to do that?...), and 4 years working with
an experienced virologist (is that what you call someone in this field of
work?), what kind of money can I expect, or does it totally depend on
where you work?  What is the range of income for a typical virolgist?
Thanks a lot for your time.

Please send e-mail as I understand nothing in this group and will probably
not be back

Joel Weinstein