What about the invaded cell?

Harry Boswell hboswell at netdoor.com
Wed Jan 10 15:08:49 EST 1996

I'm not a virologist, biologist, whatever - I'm a computer scientist who's
married to a HS biology teacher, and I asked her a question she couldn't
answer, so I thought I'd throw it out here.  My understanding is that a virus
attacks by entering a cell and inserting DNA/RNA into the cell's chromosone
structure, causing the cell to produce copies of the virus. (Sorry if I've
oversimplified).  If so, what happens to the original cell?  Is it still
the original cell type?  Has it itself become a viral cell?  Or with it's
now-altered DNA, is it something else entirely?

Or, do I have this all wrong?

Thanks for any info,
Harry

Harry Boswell                 hboswell at netdoor.com