The Hot Zone/The Plague Year

Hasse hasse at PANIX.COM
Thu Jan 11 20:33:04 EST 1996

EdRegis wrote that:

"Anyone thinking that Marburg and/or Ebola constitute a serious public
health problem is advised to read...Malcolm Gladwells, THe Plague Year..."

I think that anybody with a serious interest in infectious diseases
should read that article. It's a vert well written piece, with many good
points about fear, flash media and apocalypse prophets. There's critizism
that I share - for ex: why has "The Coming Plague" so much about disasterous
diseases - 592 pages! - and only a short chapter called 'Searching for
Solutions" and even that chapter is rather pessimistic and doesn't
exactly fill the reader with the feeling that here's some really
good possibilities - now let's go out and fight the bugs!

I like to say it again - it's a VERY interesting article, definitely
worth reading. But, it's also an article that deserves to be discussed.

I'm just now very busy with my xenotransplantation article, but for you
EdRegis and the others: I'll be back with a critical view of Malcolm
Gladwell's article, before spring is here.

Until then, don't fall on your knees for a good writer that mixes relevant
critisism with magic tricks conservatism.

And about Ebola: Anyone studying for to become a virologist that thinks
that Marburg and/or Ebola doesn't constitute a serious public health problem
should maybe concider a carrier at The New Republic insteed.

Hasta la vista,

 -Hans Andersson,NYC
  hasse at panix.com