moderation needed ?

Marnix L. Bosch marnix at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 12 09:29:47 EST 1996

This newsgroup has been inundated over the past year or so with threads
that narrowly border on virology, and have little scientific content. I
specifically refer to the Ebola madness, and the current debate about
vaccines and polio. Generally messages in these threads are crossposted to
10 or so other newsgroups, where the debate could more appropriately
belong. I have noticed that the traffic about real virological issues (and
this was a rather lively newsgroup with high scientific content) has also
dropped significantly. This is unfortunate these two facts provide me with
sufficient motivation to raise the subject of some kind of moderation
again. Although I have no problem with laymens forums, and participate
quite actively in some of those to provide the scientist perspective, I
don't think that the bionet newsgroups should acoomodate those that want
to discuss these issues. A similar trend could be observed in
bionet.molbio.evolution, where people don't like to debate creationism.

Any thoughts ?

--
Marnix L. Bosch