Benevolent Virus?

Steven_H Harwood harwoods at AVA.BCC.ORST.EDU
Tue Jan 16 14:05:35 EST 1996

On 15 Jan 1996 m_sawyer at smcvax.smcvt.edu wrote:

> Could someone please help me? Is there any such thing as a benevolent virus or a virus that invades the body and actually helps or contributes to bettering a certain system?  I've only ever heard of the nasty ones that do nothing but harmand was curious if any other kinds existed.
> Thanks in advance
> Mat

There are viral symbionts.  For example, polydnaviruses are viruses of
endoparasitic wasps that are transmitted to the wasp's host during
oviposition.  The wasp causes physiological alterations in the host
insect that allows survival of the wasp's progeny.  The virus causes no
harm to the wasp and is an integral part of its life cycle.

Steve Harwood>