The Hot Zone & The New Republic

Hans Andersson hasse at PANIX.COM
Wed Jan 17 08:25:27 EST 1996

Ed Regis wrote:

>It means that zero patients in Western hospitals have died of Ebola.

Yes, you're right, Ed! The number is zero - so far.

>That's all it means.

No, it's not! It means something more for somebody who doesn't think "that
Ebola and/or Marburg constitute a serious public health problem". Your most
recent postings are not just "a simple statement of what the facts are".

You have been downplaying the risks with filoviruses and trying to build a
case where newly emerging and highly fatal viruses aren't much of a
problem.

>Gee whiz, I thought that everybody in this Virology Discussion group was
>discussing aspects of virology.  Since when did this become a political
>hash group?

"These viruses could be on our doorstep tomorrow", as one virologist said in a
magazine article about budget cuts for CDC and USAMRIID.

Joshua Lederberg spoke today (Jan 16) about a battle between "the human
species and microbial predators"."It's a race", said the Nobel medicine
prize-winner. "It's a race that's winnable."

This week, the Journal of the American Medical Association has a special
edition on emerging and re-emerging health threats from bacteria and
viruses. In a collaborative effort involving more than 20 countries,
scientific and medical journals are publishing similar special reports
about new microbial health threats.